Workshops and Classes
NEW: CANVAS CAFÉ - PAINT AND SIP SATURDAYS
Relax and unwind at the Canvas Café, the Saturday paint-and-sip tea parties at Downing-Gross! Follow some of your favorite local artists as they lead you in creating your very own masterpieces. Enjoy complimentary tea and coffee out of your free Downing-Gross mug. And you can take your masterpiece home to hang on your walls or to give as a gift to someone you care for.
Space is limited and registration is required. THE REGISTRATION DEADLINE FOR EACH EVENT IS THE PRECEDING THURSDAY AT 11:59 PM, (36-38 HOURS BEFORE THE SCHEDULED EVENT).. The cost is $27 per person. This includes supplies, the complimentary coffee and tea, and a Downing-Gross mug (while supplies last). ALL WORKSHOPS WILL BEGIN AT 2:00 PM EXCEPT FOR THE WORKSHOPS WITH VIRGINIA COLEMAN. HER WORKSHOPS WILL BEGIN AT NOON AND WILL LAST FOR 3.5 HOURS.
July 21, 2018 - Juliette Marshall
August 11, 2018 - Juliette Marshall
September 29, 2018 - Poetry Jackson
October 20, 2018 - ChaVonne Whisonant
****November 3, 2018 - Virginia Coleman - BEGINS AT NOON
December 15, 2018 - Anthony Wardrett
January 12, 2019 - Anthony Wardrett
February 2, 2019 - Poetry Jackson
March 2, 2019 - Poetry Jackson
April 20, 2019 - Alexandra Whiteside
****May 4, 2019 - Virginia Coleman - BEGINS AT NOON
June 8, 2019 - Alexandra Whiteside
Let's Get Crafty - Arts'N'Crafts Workshop Series
Enjoy fun D.I.Y. projects without worrying about buying all of the materials! Let your creativity shine and take home your own handmade artwork! These workshops are intended for ages 7 and up but children as young as 3 years-old can participate! Join us for Thrifty Thursdays and Six Dollar Saturdays!
Thrifty Thursdays: Create FREE fun crafts on the last Thursday of every month at 4:30 PM. Check out some of the upcoming craft projects!
- May 31st - Painted Stones: Decorate three rocks that you can keep in the house or hide around the city!
- June 28th - Sticky Slime: Test your chemistry skills by making some sticky slime and a handmade box to carry it!
- July 26th - Fluffy Slime: Put your science skills to work by making some fluffy slime and a box to carry it!
- August 30th - Yarn Letter Décor: Create your own letter decor with a large wooden letter and colored yarn! For this workshop early registration is required. No same-day registration will be available on August 30th. The deadline for registration for this date is 8/28/2018.
Six Dollar Saturdays: Make some practical projects only for the cost of the supplies - $6! They will be held on the last Saturday of each month at 12:00 PM! Check out some of the upcoming craft projects!
- May 26th - CANCELLED: In observance of Memorial Day, DGCAC will be closed on May 26th.
- June 30th - Small Glass Candles: Add light and warmth to your space with these small, handmade candles.
- July 28th - Fidget Spinners: Learn how to make three different designs of this spinning novelty item!
- August 25th - Bath Bombs: Create your own fizzy bath bomb to use for yourself or to give as a gift!
Early registration is highly recommended and sometimes required. Space is limited. Same-Day registration will be available at the customer service desk. Register online at http:://www.downinggross.org, in-person, or over the phone at 757-247-8950.
MOSAIC: Junior Steel Drum Ensemble
Join the best steel drum performance group on the Peninsula.
Interested in playing a fun musical instrument? Want to perform all over Hampton Roads?
Join our steel drum class and learn how to play this magical instrument. Classes are taught by Mosaic Steel Orchestra and sponsored by the Newport News Arts Commission.
Mondays 5:30pm - 7:00pm
Register in person. For more information, call 757-247-8950 and check out their Facebook Page!
POINT, AIM & SHOOT STUDIOS
Calling aspiring youth photographers!
Find your creative voice. Learn to use professional photography equipment. Attend special events as the featured media crew. Learn to market your pictures. Participate in the production of documentary features.
Who: Youth ages 10 to 18
When: SPECIAL SUMMER 2018 HOURS - Tuesdays and Thursdays - 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Cost: Free! Registration available on site!
No Experience Required! Beginners Are Welcome! Please call before your first visit! The Point, Aim, and Shoot meeting times are subject to change based on special events.
Follow us on Facebook!